Saint Matthew's Church
The earliest Episcopal worship services in the Comanche area were conducted in the late 1870s by Bishop Alexander C. Garrett of Dallas. In 1886, soon after the organization of the St. Matthews congregation, work began on this frame building. Located on land deeded by Sarah Jane Walcott, it is the oldest existing church structure in Comanche County and has been in continuous use since its completion in 1887.
The Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth formed in 1983 after the decision was made to divide the existing Diocese of Dallas into two dioceses.
The Diocese of Fort Worth consists of 56 congregations serving 24 North Central Texas counties. Major cities in the diocese include Fort Worth, Arlington, Hurst-Euless-Bedford, Wichita Falls, Grand Prairie, Keller, Brownwood, and Stephenville. We have 128 ordained clergy with approximately 19,000 communicants.
The Right Reverend Jack Leo Iker has served as the third Diocesan Bishop of Fort Worth since 1995. His predecessors are the Rt. Rev. A. Donald Davies and the Rt. Rev. Clarence C. Pope, Jr.
From its inception, the Diocese of Fort Worth has committed itself to the proclamation and practice of a traditional, biblically-centered faith. The churches of the diocese continue to grow steadily as a direct result of our commitment to a traditional expression of Anglicanism.
Diocesan outreach programs include mission work in Mexico and the African nation of Malawi. Locally, our churches have helped to build seven Habitat for Humanity homes in the last six years. Clergy-led ministries are provided to students at four local colleges and universities.
The mission statement of the diocese is "To Equip the Saints for the Work of Ministry." Taken from Ephesians 4:12, the phrase sums up the diocesan mission to build up our people for the purpose of taking Christ's love to the world.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964